Sunday, November 27, 2011

Engine start up

Ive had the engine running in the mini for awhile now but it hasnt came without its problems.

With the loom in and the engine topped up with fluids, the car cranked over just fine. I had installed my oil pressure gauge to make sure i had sufficient oil pressure before i actually started the engine. But even after getting oil pressure, it wouldnt start. It had me in pieces trying to figure out why, checking the fuel pump to make sure it was working and whether the spark plugs were giving a decent spark. I did have a friend from work watching over me at the time and he suggested i checked my earths.

I found that the casing of the ignitor needed a ground as it was originally mounted to the firewall and mine was just sitting on my car seat. I ran a wire to the car body and that basically fixed the problem. The car started up! What a huge relief that was, but then it started to hunt on idle. Long story short and after several weeks in denial of me messing up my wiring loom, it ended up being a vacuum leak.

I swear i went over my loom a hundreds times metering all the cables making sure they had the correct polarity and/or continuity. But in the end it was something i thought i had checked over properly. The car started up and ran just fine from then on.

Here is a video of the engine starting up and running... the way it should.



From 4EFTE Mini

No comments:

Post a Comment