Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Road worthy and registered

So the day finally came. The mini has been through the department of transport's vehicle examination. She is now registered and road worthy.

A few weeks prior to this i had the engineer come out and inspect my project and write up a report stating the modifications made and how they met the Australian standards. He then sent in the report to the Department of Transport for me. I later received a letter from them approving the modifications subject to having my vehicle examined and a tare weight report. My mini came in at 740kg.


In Western Australia, vehicle modifications to this extent must be applied for and then inspected and approved by a recognized engineer before they can be road worthy and examined as i have mentioned above. The costs involved in getting the car road registered are by purchasing the following: temporary vehicle movement permit - $21; tare weight report - $25; vehicle examination fee- $96; modification permit - $20; stamp duty (of vehicle's duitable value) - $varies; and lastly the cost of registration ~ $250 (6 months).

Lining up at the Vehicle Examination


Once the Mini was examined by a Department of Transport officer he had to write up a modification approval permit that must stay with the vehicle at all times. This is to prove that all modications have been approved to anyone who may feel the need to pull me over ;-)

I proceeded to the Licensing centre with my approved forms and the statuary declaration of ownership of the vehicle then picked up my custom plates and paid for registration. Walking out of the Licensing centre with the plates in my hand it now meant my Mini was now fully road registered from date - 4th July 2013. 

Exactly 40 years after the car was built (July, 1973).

The day i drove it home







There are a couple of small things that still need to be completed on the project so this blog isnt quite finished just yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment