Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Dashboard and Switch Panel

For my dash, i wanted to use the glanza cluster as it was a simple plug and play option with the wiring loom, but i wanted to retain the standard mini look. I first made up the mini dashboard from a template found on one of the mini forums using 12mm thick mdf. I modified the dashboard to fit my boost and oil gauges, a stereo unit, two 4" speakers mounted on either end and a glove box on the passenger side. The mdf was coated with fibreglass resin for a smoother surface which i had intended on painting but eventually went with vinyl wrapping. The odometer cluster was a fiddly job also as the standard cluster had a curved plastic face. I modified the stock unit to fit a flat piece of plastic.

The next part of my dash was the switch panel on which i had intended on keeping pretty stock glanza / mini looking. I used the glanza demister, hazard and low boost buttons and intergrated them into a custom switch panel which would sit where the existing mini panel sat. I also installed three switches and of coarse a cigarette lighter to charge my phone etc..  


Only two of the three switches are used but it is always good to have a spare. The two switches are for the water to air radiator fan override and the engine radiator fan override.


Mounting of the standard glanza switches werent easy. And although the demister is for the rear, i will have rewired it to the windscreen.


Lastly is the dash and switch panel temporarily installed. Its obviously missing all its ancillaries.


No comments:

Post a Comment