Friday, January 4, 2013

Door Lock Dilemma

So i went out and purchased a pair of Starlet door locks in order to have them matched to my key for my ignition barrel, at least that's what the plan was. I really like the idea of having the same key for as much as possible, the bootlid the exception. 

I popped into a locksmith and soon found out that the keys and locks weren't compatible. He was happy to help me and told me that the Starlet key was known as a TOY26 size and the Glanza was a TOY38R size. I then looked into seeing what door locks were available in a TOY38R size and found nothing that would suit. Okay, so ill try looking into replacing the ignition barrel with a Starlet TOY26 size, but finding someone with stock was another issue.

It came down to calling around for people on Gumtree parting out Toyota Starlets hoping that the ignition barrel was the same size and match that to the door locks i had already purchased. I did find someone and quickly drove around to their yard with the ignition barrel already removed from their car. Unlucky for me the key and barrel were the same TOY38R size i had all along. I was dumb folded. This Toyota Starlet was an Australian Spec model but still had the wrong size key to the door locks i had purchased. After some heavy research my only conclusion was that 'Nice Products' produced door locks with a different sized key to the original leaving people in the dark having to use different keys if they were to replace their door locks. That sucks.

The Toyota Starlet at the yard was already stripped so i was having my doubts on solving this dilemma. I soon asked if they had the doors with door locks floating around still, long story short they were in 2 different workshops and the door locks were actually in decent condition but it took us 30mins driving around chasing these. Worth it!!!

Lucky again, the ignition barrel fits straight into the Glanza ignition barrel cast fitting. I moved onto cutting and enlarging the holes in the doors and worried about modifying the locking mechanism at the back later. (May make a blog about this)

Here are the photos. Probably should of done this before paint, but i did apply paint to these before final fitment.



1 comment: