Sunday, March 17, 2013

Windscreen + Door Install


I never had an old windscreen as it was broken when i had purchased the mini. I found one on Gumtree for $40 but later found out that it was not legal to have on the road because it was not a laminated one. 

If I were to buy the windscreen and have it installed it would cost me $350-400, but if i chose to buy it as a 'supply only' and install it myself it would only cost $150. With $40 wasted i purchased the brand new laminated one from Instant Windscreens. Installation was fairly hard and i built up a good sweat. It is definitely a job you don't wanna do by yourself, so i had a friend help me. The trick from plenty of YouTube videos was to have some string or rope sitting in the seal and to pull the string out while pushing the glass in. We did it the hard way and used two plastic scrapers to slowly feed the glass in. The real trick is to use plenty of soapy water tho!

Once in, the next job was installing the fillet strip into the seal to lock the glass in. Again a fairly hard and fiddly job but I had the right tool which did make things easier. The fillet strip used was the non chrome one.

Note: The ending of the windscreen rubber and the ending of the fillet strip have to be at opposite ends otherwise the windscreen could come out (i found this out later so i will be redoing this)




While i had my friend helping me out i got him to hold the side doors while i installed the hinges, aligned the doors and then tightened all nuts. I may have to re-align them once the glass is in as they are the majority of the weight.

Here is how the driver side looked


No comments:

Post a Comment